SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RESEARCH PROGRAM
As of December 31, 2021
Investigators & staff
- 33Full-time research scientists19 of our scientists are also on faculty of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine.
- 300+Physician researchersIncludes 88 clinical trials principal investigators and 240+ sub-investigators, as well as retired and affiliated Southern California Permanente Medical Group physicians.
- 390+Research and support staffIncludes research project managers and research associates, clinical trials support staff, programmers, biostatisticians, and clinical informatics personnel; and division administration, business office, operations, research IT, program management, and communications staff.
Projects & publications
- 500+Active studiesThroughout Kaiser Permanente Southern California. Projects may include multiple protocols.
- ~450Active clinical trials protocolsHundreds of physicians participate in research as collaborators and clinical trials investigators. 2,800+ patients enrolled in clinical trials across 30 therapeutic areas.
- 575+Journal articles published
Southern California Research Environment
15 medical centers 236 medical offices (including retail or employer clinics)
- Lab & Pharmacy Services
22.3 million outpatient prescriptions filled 11.8 million prescriptions filled by mail order
- Physicians & Staff
7,800+ physicians 75,000+ employees (technical, administrative, nurses, and nonphysician caregivers)
Southern California Member Population
Click to Show Description of Member Population Demographics
The graphic above shows the Kaiser Permanente Southern California member population at the end of 2021, including total number of members, and percentages by sex, age, and race/ethnicity.
There are more than 4.7 million members in Southern California. 52% are female; 48% are male.
BREAKDOWN BY AGE:
|20 years and younger
|21 to 39 years
|40 to 64 years
|65 years and older
BREAKDOWN BY RACE/ETHNICITY:
|Hispanic or Latino
|Black or African American
|Multiple or other
Southern California membership RETENTION RATES
remain after 1 year.
About 78% remain
after 3 years.
remain after 5 years.
Funding for research at Kaiser Permanente Southern California has increased rapidly over the past 15 years.
Total research expenditures
Total in 2021: $33 million
Federal grants: $27.6 million
Industry contracts: $31.3 million
Kaiser Permanente provided the remaining funds. (Internal sources include the Kaiser Permanente Community Health program, the Southern California Permanente Medical Group, the Garfield Memorial Fund, and the Center for Effectiveness & Safety Research.)
Click to Show Description of Funding bar graph
The above bar graph shows how much research funding Kaiser Permanente Southern received by type of funder from 2006 through 2021. Funding for research at Kaiser Permanente Southern California has grown from $13.3 million in 2006 to $83 million in 2021.