SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RESEARCH PROGRAM
Investigators & Staff
- 40+ScientistsIncludes full-time staff scientists, post-doctoral research fellows, and a CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service officer. Eight scientists are on faculty of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine in Pasadena, California.
- 400Research and Support StaffIncludes research associates, clinical trials support staff, programmers, biostatisticians, and clinical informatics personnel, as well as division administration, business office, operations, research IT, and communications staff.
- 250+Physician investigatorsIncluding 180+ conducting clinical trials, and affiliated researchers including current and retired Southern California Permanente Medical Group physicians and adjunct physicians from other organizations.
Projects & Publications
- 1,250+Active study protocolsThroughout Kaiser Permanente Southern California, including 400+ clinical trial protocols.
- 475+Original research papersPublished in medical and scientific journals. Excludes case reports, editorials, and letters.
Southern California Research Environment
15 medical centers 235 medical offices
- Lab & Pharmacy Services
33.9 million outpatient prescriptions filled 11 million prescriptions filled by mail order
- Physicians & Staff
7,600 physicians 27,000 nurses 75,000 employees
Southern California Member Population
Click to Show Description of Member Population Demographics
The graphic above shows the Kaiser Permanente Southern California member population at the end of 2019, including total number of members, and percentages by sex, age, and race/ethnicity.
There are more than 4.6 million members in Southern California. 51% are female; 49% are male.
BREAKDOWN BY AGE:
|20 years and younger
|21 to 39 years
|40 to 64 years
|65 years and older
BREAKDOWN BY RACE/ETHNICITY:
|Hispanic or Latino
|Black or African American
Southern California membership RETENTION RATES
remain after 1 year.
About 78% remain
after 3 years.
remain after 5 years.
Funding for research at Kaiser Permanente Southern California has increased rapidly in the past decade.
Total research expenditures
Total in 2019: $73 million
Federal grants: $21.9 million
Industry contracts: $30.5 million
Kaiser Permanente provided the remaining funds. (Internal sources include the Kaiser Permanente Community Health program, the Southern California Permanente Medical Group, the Garfield Memorial Fund, and the Center for Effectiveness & Safety Research.)
Click to Show Description of Funding bar graph
The above bar graph shows how much research funding Kaiser Permanente Southern received by type of funder from 2006 through 2019. Funding for research at Kaiser Permanente Southern California has grown from $13.3 million in 2006 to $73 million in 2019.