SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RESEARCH PROGRAM
As of December 31, 2022
Investigators & staff
- 31Full-time research scientistsTwenty of our scientists are also on faculty of the Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine.
- 300+Physician researchersIncludes clinical trials principal investigators and sub-investigators, as well as retired and affiliated Southern California Permanente Medical Group physicians.
- 390+Research and support staffIncludes research project managers and research associates, clinical trials support staff, programmers, biostatisticians, and clinical informatics personnel; and division administration, business office, operations, research IT, program management, and communications staff.
Projects & publications
- 500+Active studiesThroughout Kaiser Permanente Southern California. Projects may include multiple protocols.
- 350+Active clinical trials protocolsHundreds of physicians participate in research as collaborators and clinical trials investigators.
- 650+Journal articles published
Southern California Research Environment
15 medical centers 236 medical offices (including retail or employer clinics)
- Lab & Pharmacy Services
24.2 million outpatient prescriptions filled 12.6 million prescriptions filled by mail order
- Physicians & Staff
8,100+ physicians 78,000+ employees (technical, administrative, nurses, and non-physician caregivers)
Southern California Member Population
Click to Show Description of Member Population Demographics
The graphic above shows the Kaiser Permanente Southern California member population at the end of 2023, including total number of members, and percentages by sex, age, and race/ethnicity.
There are more than 4.7 million members in Southern California. 52% are female; 48% are male.
BREAKDOWN BY AGE:
|20 years and younger
|21 to 39 years
|40 to 64 years
|65 years and older
BREAKDOWN BY RACE/ETHNICITY:
|Hispanic or Latino
|Black or African American
|Multiple or other
Southern California membership RETENTION RATES
Funding for research at Kaiser Permanente Southern California has increased rapidly over the past 15 years.
Total research expenditures
Total in 2022: $101 million
Federal grants: $32 million
Industry contracts: $46 million
Kaiser Permanente provided the remaining funds. (Internal sources include the Kaiser Permanente Community Health program, the Southern California Permanente Medical Group, the Garfield Memorial Fund, and the Center for Effectiveness & Safety Research.)
Click to Show Description of Funding bar graph
The above bar graph shows how much research funding Kaiser Permanente Southern received by type of funder from 2008 through 2022. Funding for research at Kaiser Permanente Southern California has grown from $22 million in 2008 to $101 million in 2022.