SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RESEARCH PROGRAM
Investigators & Staff
- 65+InvestigatorsIncludes 30 full-time staff scientists plus clinical trials program leaders and affiliated researchers (retired and active physicians). Hundreds of physicians participate in research as collaborators and clinical trials investigators.
- 250+Research StaffIncludes post-doctoral research fellows, Epidemic Intelligence Service officer, research staff, clinical trials support staff, programmers, biostatisticians, and clinical informatics personnel.
- 70+Support StaffIncludes division administration, business office, operations, research IT, and communications staff.
Projects & Publications
- 1,420+Active StudiesThroughout Kaiser Permanente Southern California. Research projects and clinical trials. Includes internally and externally funded studies.
- 400+Original research papers publishedIn medical and scientific journals. Excludes case reports, editorials, and letters.
Southern California Research Environment
15 medical centers 231 medical offices
- Lab & Pharmacy Services
31.8 million outpatient 47 million lab tests processed
- Physicians & Staff
7400+ physicians 26,000+ nurses 73,000+ employees
Southern California Member Population
Click to Show Description of Member Population Demographics
The graphic above shows the Kaiser Permanente Southern California member population at the end of 2018, including total number of members, and percentages by sex, age, and race/ethnicity.
There are more than 4.5 million members in Southern California. 51% are female; 49% are male.
BREAKDOWN BY AGE:
|20 years and younger
|21 to 39 years
|40 to 64 years
|65 years and older
BREAKDOWN BY RACE/ETHNICITY:
|Hispanic or Latino
|Black or African American
Southern California membership RETENTION RATES
remain after 1 year.
About 78% remain
after 3 years.
remain after 5 years.
Funding for research at Kaiser Permanente Southern California has increased rapidly in the past decade.
Total research expenditures
Total in 2018: $62.4 million
Federal grants: $24.7 million
Industry contracts: $16.1 million
Kaiser Permanente: $21.6 million
(Internal sources include the Kaiser Permanente Community Benefit program, the Southern California Permanente Medical Group, the Sidney R. Garfield Memorial Fund, and the Center for Effectiveness & Safety Research.)
Click to Show Description of Funding bar graph
The above bar graph shows how much research funding Kaiser Permanente Southern received by type of funder from 2006 through 2018. Funding for research at Kaiser Permanente Southern California has grown from $13.3 million in 2006 to $62.4 million in 2018.