SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA RESEARCH PROGRAM
Investigators & Staff
- 65+InvestigatorsIncludes 30 full-time staff scientists plus clinical trials program leaders and affiliated researchers (retired and active physicians). Hundreds of physicians participate in research as collaborators and clinical trials investigators.
- 250+Research StaffIncludes post-doctoral research fellows, Epidemic Intelligence Service officer, research staff, clinical trials support staff, programmers, biostatisticians, and clinical informatics personnel.
- 70+Support StaffIncludes division administration, business office, operations, research IT, and communications staff.
Projects & Publications
- 1,420+Active StudiesThroughout Kaiser Permanente Southern California. Funded research projects and clinical trials. Include internally and externally funded studies.
- 400Original research papers publishedIn medical and scientific journals. Excludes case reports, editorials, and letters.
Southern California Research Environment
15 medical centers 231 medical offices
- Lab & Pharmacy Services
31.8 million outpatient 47 million lab tests processed
- Physicians & Staff
7400+ physicians 26,000+ nurses 73,000+ employees
Southern California Member Population
Southern California membership RETENTION RATES
remain after 1 year.
About 78% remain
after 3 years.
remain after 5 years.
Funding for research at Kaiser Permanente Southern California has increased rapidly in the past decade.
Total research expenditures
Total in 2018: $62.4 million
Federal grants: $24.7 million
Industry contracts: $16.1 million
Kaiser Permanente: $21.6 million
(Internal sources include the Kaiser Permanente Community Benefit program, the Southern California Permanente Medical Group, the Sidney R. Garfield Memorial Fund, and the Center for Effectiveness & Safety Research.)